Tolerance.ca
Director / Editor: Victor Teboul, Ph.D.
Looking inside ourselves and out at the world
Independent and neutral with regard to all political and religious orientations, Tolerance.ca® aims to promote awareness of the major democratic principles on which tolerance is based.

Explosion targets convey of AU troops in Mogadishu

A convoy of African Union Peacekeepers in the Somalia capital has on Monday morning came under attack on the industrial street in the north of Mogadishu, local radio reported.

Subscribe to Tolerance.ca


This convoy of the Africn Union troops was heading to their garrison at the former comrade Siyad academy.

“The vehicles which ran over a hidden landmine was totally destroyed and turned into ashes. The explosion was so big that it could wakeup a dead person, and instantly after the explosion the troops which were from the Burundian battalion in Mogadishu opened heavy fire in the vicinity around the area where their vehicle was destroyed” said Noor Ahmed a donkey chart owner, speaking to Somaliweyn radio.He narrowly escaped the fire opened by the fuming Burundian troops

The spokesman of the Burundian troops in Mogadishu has verified the incident in which one of their military trucks dove on the landmine, but said that he has not yet the casualty reports from the soldiers, whose convoy came under attack. So far no faction has claimed the responsibility for the landmine attack targeting the Burundian troops on Monday.

Since their arrival in Somalia, Uganda and Burundi - the only two African countries in Somalia - have experienced several attacks including suicide attacks - of which the latest occurred on the 17th of November 2009 when more than 15 military personnel were killed including the second in Command of the African Union troops in Somalia.
© Ecoterra -
Subscribe to Tolerance.ca


Follow us on ...
Facebook Twitter